Saturday, February 28, 2015

Orphan Train - Pre Reading

Lana Sue Grace
January 13, 1929

The orphan trains are supposed to take you to a better place. That’s what we were told. I guess that might be true, but they sure make the trip there as hard as possible. We don’t have a change of clothes, and food is limited. The whole atmosphere is dismal. Still, I suppose I have it better than some: I do have a friend. We all call her Willie, but her actual name is Oda Wilma Ingram. That’s a big name for an orphaned kid of German immigrants, especially seeing as how it means “wealthy”, which is ironic. We found that out when someone stole a magazine and passed it around. Near the back there was a page that listed the meanings of names, and since, it’s become a bit of a joke.
I don’t see how anyone will want to adopt me: I’m rather plain-looking. I’ve been told that people want a younger child than my 14 years to raise, or else a boy to work. I’ll just have to try my best and hope to get picked by someone nice.
The train itself looks nice. It has seats, but there are more of us than can fit, so the older children stand or sit on the floor. Inside, everyone argues, but that’s nothing new. We were only told a day before we left, so everyone’s nervous. Willie and I just look out the windows at the countryside. It’s rather pretty, you know. I almost hope the people who adopt me have a farm, just for the peaceful view.
It looks like we’re coming to a stop now. This is about the third one, I think. We all file off the train behind our matron, and follow her towards a little general store, where I see families gathered. The families approach us. It looks a little like a cattle auction we saw at the last stop. They poke and prod us. The first orphan to be chosen is a little red-haired boy who looks about ten or so. The people who pick him look sour and ill-tempered, and I start getting nervous. Willie is picked next, but the couple who pick her look nice. Then some people approach me. I get so nervous, I can hardly remember what happens. I end up going home with them in a rusty truck with hay in the back. I think, they must have a farm, or something. The woman wears a plain dress, but she is pretty, with red hair. The man has dark blonde hair, and would’ve looked rather intimidating but for kind eyes and the way he keeps smiling.

January 26, 1929


In the end, the couple who adopted me did have a farm, and they are nice. They live close to the people who adopted Willie, so I get to see her. I am expected to help them around the farm, but I don’t mind. I guess it ended up okay in the end.

1 comment:

  1. This was AMAZING! I totally felt like I was reading a real girl's diary. You have such a skill in writing. Thank you for choosing this perspective to write in. Grade: 25/25

    ReplyDelete